Balanced attack gets Mizzou by Iowa StateJan 23, 2011 - 6:10 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Michael Dixon scored 15 points as all five starters reached double figures in 13th-ranked Missouri's 87-54 victory over Iowa State at Mizzou Arena.
Marcus Denmon supplied 13 points, five rebounds and four steals while Kim English contributed 12 points, five boards and four assists for the Tigers (17-3, 3-2 Big 12), who have won two straight since a two-point overtime loss to Texas A&M last Saturday.
Darion Anderson scored a game-high 20 points and was the only player to score in double figures for the Cyclones (14-6, 1-4), who have lost two in a row and four out five since conference play started.
"We just didn't play a smart basketball game tonight," Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said. "Everything that we had to do to stay in this game and give ourselves a chance at the end, we didn't do."
Iowa State shot a paltry 27 percent, making just 19-of-70 from the floor in falling to 21-83 all-time at Missouri.
Leading 20-16, the Tigers broke the game open with a 17-4 burst that Denmon capped with a three-pointer to make it a 17-point game with four minutes left in the first half.
"We made a concerted effort to come out and get stops early, and hopefully we would get easy turnovers and easy baskets," English said.
Dixon canned a pair of triples in the final 94 seconds to stretch the hosts advantage to 48-26 at the intermission.
Iowa State never got closer than 20 in the second half as the Tigers improved to 13-0 at home.
Ricardo Ratliffe added 12 points, six caroms, six blocks and three assists while Justin Safford chipped in with 11 points and six boards in the win...The Tigers have held at least a 15-point in the second half in eight of their last nine home games...Missouri made 10-of-29 from long distance while the Cyclones connected only 4-of-22 from beyond the arc...Denmon's uncle, Martinez Denmon, played at Iowa State and was a third round choice, 52nd overall, by Boston in 1973 NBA Draft...Missouri leads the all-time series, 146-84...Diante Garrett scored six points on 3-of-16 shooting for Iowa State, which was outrebounded, 61-38.
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18