Thompson helps Texas stay perfect in Big 12Jan 27, 2011 - 4:56 AM Stillwater, OK (Sports Network) - Tristan Thompson scored 14 points while Jordan Hamilton supplied 12 points and 11 rebounds to lead seventh-ranked Texas past Oklahoma State, 61-46, at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Dogus Balbay contributed 10 points, five boards and four assists for the Longhorns (17-3, 5-0 Big 12), who have won five straight and 11 of their last 12 contests.
"Dogus was terrific," Texas head coach Rick Barnes said. "I told the team I thought he was the single biggest difference for us with what he did in terms of trying to disrupt things. He's played now against people not wanting to guard him and he's making the adjustments himself."
Marshall Moses scored 14 points and pulled down 11 rebounds and J.P. Olukemi added 13 points and six caroms for the Cowboys (14-6, 2-4), who had a 13-game home win streak snapped.
"We just weren't 100 percent ready," Moses said. "Coach (Travis Ford) had us ready for scouting reports and things like that, but for us, we have to get a little bit better, and we will. I can promise you we will get better because we have the guys to do it."
After a Moses layup tied the game at 27 with 2:40 to go in the first half, Texas scored the next seven points to take the lead at the intermission. Hamilton capped the surge with a triple with three ticks showing on the clock.
The 'Horns opened the second half with another Hamilton triple that was followed by a dunk and a layup from Thompson to extend the run and their advantage to 14 before a Moses dunk 3 1/2 minutes in got the Cowboys on the board.
Oklahoma State countered with the next seven points to trim its deficit in half with 15:17 to play. However, two Alexis Wangmene free throws increased the Texas lead to 50-37 with 11 1/2 minutes remaining.
The hosts never got closer than 10 the rest of the way.
Hamilton was 4-of-9 from the floor with all of his makes coming from beyond the arc...Texas made 6-of-11 from long distance while the Cowboys hit on just 1-of-11 three-point tries...Gary Johnson contributed nine points and six boards in the win while Cory Joseph chipped in with nine points and four caroms...Moses was 7-of-15 from the floor for the Cowboys, who shot just 32 percent (18-for-56)...The game was played one day before the 10th anniversary of the plane crash that claimed the lives of 10 members of the OSU basketball team and staff.
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6