Missouri fends off WyomingNov 24, 2010 - 4:14 AM Cancun, MX (Sports Network) - Michael Dixon scored a game-high 17 points to help 11th-ranked Missouri hold off Wyoming, 72-62, in the Cancun Challenge.
Laurence Bowers added 12 points and Kim English 11 for the Tigers (3-0), who will meet La Salle in Wednesday's championship game of the Riviera Division. The Explorers beat Providence earlier Tuesday.
Amath M'Baye led Wyoming (2-3) with 16 points, while Desmar Jackson added 12 points. The Cowboys will meet Providence in a third-place contest.
Wyoming trailed by double digits for most of the second half, but put together a rally down the stretch.
After a Dixon three-pointer put Missouri ahead 57-43, Arthur Bouedo drained a trey to ignite the Cowboys' 14-2 run. Francisco Cruz's jumper ended the burst with 4:22 left, drawing Wyoming within 59-57.
But Missouri denied the Cowboys a chance to tie, as Marcus Denmon connected on a second-chance three on the Tigers' next trip down the floor. Bowers followed with a tip-in to boost Missouri's lead to seven, and the Tigers were up by at least two possessions the rest of the way.
Missouri scored the game's first six points and held a small lead for the opening 10 minutes. The Tigers embarked on an 11-0 run that Ricky Kreklow, Dixon and English ended with a three apiece, making it a 25-11 game with 6:28 left. Missouri carried a 35-20 lead into the break.
Cruz's three-pointer nearly three minutes in briefly cut Wyoming's deficit to single digits, 39-30. Ricardo Ratliffe followed with a pair of buckets for Missouri.
Missouri shot 38.8 percent (26-of-67) while Wyoming made 39.2 percent (20- of-51) of its shots...The Cowboys sank 19-of-30 foul shots, compared to 10- of-12 for Missouri...Ratliffe ended with 12 rebounds and eight points for Mizzou.
- WYOMING: 62
Nov 23 9:04 PM
- WYOMING: 20
Nov 23 7:54 PM
- WYOMING: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 7:06 PM
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20