California notches win over TempleNov 26, 2010 - 7:23 AM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - Harper Kamp finished with 13 points and seven rebounds, leading California to a 57-50 win over No. 21 Temple in action from the Old Spice Classic.
Allen Crabbe totaled 12 points and eight boards for the Golden Bears (3-0), who will face Notre Dame in the semifinals on Friday. Jorge Gutierrez and Gary Franklin each scored 10 in the victory.
Lavoy Allen netted 13 points to pace the Owls (2-1), who face Georgia on Friday.
The Owls' Rahlir Jefferson sank a jumper with 7:42 remaining to give his team a 45-38 lead, but Cal countered with a 12-0 run. Franklin started it with a three-pointer, and Gutierrez's trey with 5:17 left had the Bears leading, 46-45.
Kamp got a layup to fall with 3:23 to go, ending the rally for a 50-45 edge.
"We had a stretch in the second half where we really defended well or they were missing shots, whichever way you want to look at it," said Cal head coach Mike Montgomery. "But we were able to make some baskets."
Temple was within 54-50 when Juan Fernandez made two foul shots with 1:14 on the clock, and the Owls got the ball back following Kamp's missed jumper. But Allen turned the ball over, forcing Temple to foul, and Crabbe made two free throws to help secure the win.
Cal held a slight lead for most of the tight first half, but Temple scored four of the final six points to take a 25-23 edge to the break. The Owls were generally a few possessions in front until the stretch run.
Jefferson scored 10 points for the Owls, who shot 33.3 percent...Cal shot 39.2 percent...The teams combined for 40 made field goals, but only 15 assists.
- TEMPLE: 50
Nov 25 11:49 PM
- TEMPLE: 25
Nov 25 10:37 PM
- TEMPLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 9:54 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- Temple freshman Troy Lowe injured in car accident Mar 1
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- Basketball broadcasts at Temple have an international flavor Feb 22