Bowers leads No. 13 Missouri over Oral RobertsDec 17, 2010 - 5:01 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Laurence Bowers scored 17 points, grabbed six rebounds and blocked a career-high five shots and Marcus Denmon added 16 points as 13th-ranked Missouri downed Oral Roberts, 81-62, at Mizzou Arena.
Kim English and Ricardo Ratliffe each supplied 10 points while Phil Pressey chipped in with eight points and seven assists as the Tigers (9-1) extended their school-record non-conference home winning streak to 53 straight games.
Dominique Morrison totaled 18 points and Damen Bell-Holter contributed 12 points and 17 boards for the Golden Eagles (4-6), who have lost two in a row.
Oral Roberts shot just 26.5 percent from the floor, 13-for-49, in falling to the Tigers for the sixth time in seven all-time meetings.
"I think Oral Roberts is a good team and they have strong shooters," Bowers said. "Coach (Mike Anderson) has been stressing in practice that we need to guard the three-point line better, that we need to work on our closing out because a lot of teams have been attacking us off the dribble. We made that a point of emphasis tonight."
Two Steven Roundtree free throws gave the visitors a 20-17 lead with 7:20 to play in the first half before the Tigers took control with an 18-2 run.
English hit back-to-back three-pointers to make it 26-20 two minutes later and Denmon finished the spurt with a jumper to extend the hosts lead to 35-22 with 1:45 left before intermission. Missouri lead 37-24 at the break.
The Golden Eagles pulled to within 45-38 on a Morrison triple with 13:42 to go before Missouri steadily increased the lead. Steve Moore's three-point play pushed the lead to 57-41 with 7:47 remaining and the hosts were never threatened the rest of the way.
Anderson is 46-0 in home non-conference games...The Tigers last loss to a non- conference foe at home was November 14, 2005 to Sam Houston State...Mizzouri also started 9-1 under Anderson during the 2006-07 campaign...Ratliffe hauled in seven rebounds while Denmon grabbed five...Pressey was starting in place of suspended point guard Mike Dixon...Bell-Holter's 17 rebounds were a career- best...Roundtree finished with 14 points, 10 of which came from the foul line. Oral Roberts went 32-of-38 at the charity stripe while Missouri went 16-of-19.
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Turnovers cost Missouri in loss to Arkansas Feb 18
- No. 18 Arkansas plays host to Missouri Feb 18