Illinois downs GonzagaDec 5, 2010 - 3:25 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mike Tisdale and D.J. Richardson each posted 15 points as 20th-ranked Illinois downed Gonzaga, 73-61, at Key Arena.
Brandon Paul had 12 points, Demetri McCamey added 11 with seven assists and Mike Davis clocked in with 10 points for the Illini (8-1), who won their fifth straight game thanks to shooting 12-of-23 from long distance.
Robert Sacre poured in 15 points with a game-high 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs (4-3), who had won two in a row coming in. Elias Harris scored 12 off the bench and Steven Gray scored 10 in the loss.
In a tight opening 20 minutes, neither team led by more than four until Illinois used a 12-6 run to end the half.
Paul got the burst started with under four minutes left on two free throws, then kept it going with a layup and back-to-back treys. His final one provided the Illini with a 34-28 margin at the break.
Tisdale then sank a pair from beyond the arc to frame an 8-4 burst to start the second half and give the Illini a 42-32 edge roughly two minutes in.
Two from the line by Sacre got the Bulldogs within 42-37 before four minutes elapsed, but Richardson connected on a three to establish an eight-point margin and Illinois began to pull away.
Bill Cole drained a trey and Illinois was once again ahead by double digits at 53-41. He sank one more and McCamey added a third and the Illini took a 59-41 advantage with 12:10 remaining in the contest.
Gray's shot from long distance and two free throws got Gonzaga within 67-57 with 6 1/2 to play, but Richardson hit a jumper roughly 90 seconds later and the Zags kept missing long shots down the stretch in a futile attempt to come back.
Illinois has won three of the four meetings with Gonzaga...Cole posted eight points for the Illini...Gonzaga connected on just 3-of-16 from beyond the arc.
- ILLINOIS: 73
Dec 4 7:23 PM
- ILLINOIS: 34
Dec 4 6:09 PM
- ILLINOIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 5:22 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- After arrests, Illinois AD gives Groce another endorsement Mar 24