San Diego State tops Horned Frogs in MWC openerJan 6, 2011 - 5:01 AM Fort Worth, TX (Sports Network) - Malcolm Thomas scored 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting to help No. 6 San Diego State stay undefeated with a 66-53 road win over TCU in the Mountain West Conference opener for both programs.
Thomas coupled his efficient night from the floor with 10 rebounds, and Kawhi Leonard also posted a double-double with 14 points and 11 boards for the Aztecs (16-0, 1-0 MWC), who continue to steamroll the competition en route to the best start in school history.
Garlon Green netted 13 points and Nikola Cerina added 12 for the Horned Frogs (9-7, 0-1), who had won seven games at home this season by an average of 19 points.
San Diego State, one of seven remaining unbeaten teams in the country, made just 3-of-13 from behind the arc in the first half and led by only three, 29-26, at the break.
"I think we got frustrated that our shots weren't going in the first half," SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said. "Fortunately, we were able to adjust and come back and get the win."
The Aztecs continued to struggle from long distance in the final 20 minutes, but dominated on the inside during a 13-0 run early on that put the game out of reach.
Thomas started the stretch with a dunk, then forced a turnover on the next possession that led to a Leonard slam.
Thomas and Leonard combined for 11 points on the flurry, which Chase Tapley finished with another dunk off a steal for a commanding 49-31 cushion with 14 minutes to play.
"They took it right to us," TCU head coach Jim Christian said of the second half spurt. "We turned the ball over. If you allow them to get open-floor turnovers, you're in trouble and that's exactly what happened."
The margin was double digits the rest of the way.
The Aztecs have won five straight in the series...Tapley ended with 12 points for SDSU, which made just 4-of-22 attempts from three-point range...TCU, which has lost three straight overall, shot 36.4 percent from the field...Ronnie Moss posted 11 points for the Frogs.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 66
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 53
Jan 5 9:09 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 29
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 26
Jan 5 8:11 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
TEXAS CHRISTIAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 5 7:39 PM
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Jamie Dixon introduced at TCU, big boost for his alma mater Mar 22
- Dixon leaving Pittsburgh to take over at TCU, his alma mater Mar 22
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22