Gay's late bucket lifts Aztecs over RamsFeb 3, 2011 - 7:53 AM Fort Collins, CO (Sports Network) - D.J. Gay's fall-away jumper with 1.8 seconds left in regulation lifted No. 7 San Diego State past Colorado State, 56-54, at Moby Arena.
James Rahon poured in 15 points and Kawhi Leonard added 12 points with a game- high 15 rebounds for the Aztecs (22-1, 7-1 MWC), who have won two in a row since their lone loss at BYU.
Andy Ogide registered 18 points and 12 boards for the Rams (15-7, 5-3), who saw a two-game win streak ended. Travis Franklin notched 12 points and hit the tying bucket with 10 seconds left in the contest.
Franklin had slipped into the lane and hit a layup to knot the game at 54-54, but Gay ran the length of the floor off the inbound, moved to the edge of the three-point line on the left wing and sank the winner with 1.8 left.
"That situation [was] pretty chaotic. We just had to get the ball under control, and force them to take a tough shot," said Colorado State guard Dorian Green. "Unfortunately Gay's shot wasn't a tough shot."
Aztecs head coach Steve Fisher called it a "tough, hard-fought game."
"You take a deep breath and feel good that you walked out of here with a victory," he said.
San Diego State recorded the game's first seven points, but Colorado State responded with a 13-5 run to take a one-point lead on a Franklin layup almost six minutes in.
Rahon's make with under four minutes left in the first half put the Aztecs lead at 29-22, but Greg Smith's bucket capped a run to get the Rams within 31-29 at the break.
CSU came out strong in the second half, taking a 38-33 lead, only to see SDSU strike back to go up 46-41 and 52-46 with 6:46 on the clock after two Chase Tapley free throws.
But Franklin hit two buckets and Ogide made two from the line to tie the game at 52-all with under 4 1/2 remaining.
Billy White's basket with 2:20 left got San Diego State ahead by two and both teams went cold down the stretch until the fantastic finish.
San Diego State has won eight in a row and 13 of the last 14 meetings with Colorado State and lead the all-time series 36-31...White finished with nine points and Gay had six points with four assists.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 56
COLORADO STATE: 54
Feb 2 11:11 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 31
COLORADO STATE: 29
Feb 2 10:02 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
COLORADO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 2 9:16 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21