Moore's 31 powers Purdue over NorthwesternDec 31, 2010 - 8:08 PM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - E'Twaun Moore led all scorers with 31 points and grabbed seven rebounds, as 12th-ranked Purdue earned an 82-69 win over Northwestern in Big Ten action at Mackey Arena.
JaJuan Johnson finished with 19 points and nine boards, while Ryne Smith netted 13 points for Purdue (13-1, 2-0 Big Ten), which opened its Big Ten schedule with a convincing 80-57 victory over Michigan on Tuesday and have now won eight straight.
Michael Thompson ended with a team-best 18 points and Luka Mirkovic chipped in with 16 for Northwestern (9-2, 0-1), which has dropped two of its last three. JerShon Cobb and John Shurna donated 12 and 11 points, respectively, in defeat.
In the second half, Smith's two free throws with 8:04 to play put the Boilermakers ahead by a seemingly comfortable double-digit margin, 66-54, but Thompson made a jumper and a three sandwiched around Mike Capocci's make to cut the Wildcats' deficit to five with 6:31 left.
Smith hit from three-point range near the four-minute mark to give Purdue a nine-point lead at 71-62, then made a another triple with 2:15 to play to give the Boilermakers an 11-point cushion.
Northwestern never threatened the outcome in the final minutes.
Back-to-back three-pointers by Moore gave Purdue a 16-10 lead in the early going.
The Boilermakers were ahead 28-20 with 8:13 left in the opening half before Davide Curletti and Shurna each hit from beyond the arc as part of an 8-2 run to get Northwestern within two at 30-28 with 5:47 to play.
However, Purdue closed the first half with nine straight points and took a 42-30 advantage into the locker room.
Purdue owns a commanding 120-43 lead in the all-time series with Northwestern, and the Boilermakers have won seven of the last nine meetings...Purdue shot 46.3 percent from the field and made nine three-pointers, seven from Moore...Northwestern made 45.6 percent of its shots and 8-of-17 from beyond the arc.
- NORTHWESTERN: 69
Dec 31 2:06 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 30
Dec 31 12:48 PM
- NORTHWESTERN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 12:04 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27