McCamey, No. 23 Illinois top WisconsinJan 3, 2011 - 1:43 AM Champaign, IL (Sports Network) - Demetri McCamey scored 21 points and dished out seven assists, as the 23rd-ranked Illinois Fighting Illini held off the Wisconsin Badgers, 69-61, in a Big Ten battle from Assembly Hall.
Mike Davis added 11 points and 14 rebounds for the Illini (12-3, 2-0 Big Ten), who opened their Big Ten schedule with an 87-77 win over Iowa last Wednesday. Bill Cole donated 11 points off the bench.
Jordan Taylor and Jon Leuer both scored 19 points for the Badgers (11-3, 1-1), who saw a seven-game winning streak come to an end. Keaton Nankivil tallied 11 points and seven boards.
A tight first half resulted in a 37-34 Illinois lead.
Davis started the second half with a three-point play to give the Illini a six-point edge. Following a Leuer dunk, McCamey made a free throw and Davis made a layup to make it a 43-36 margin with 17:26 to play.
Leuer stopped the bleeding with a jumper, but Illinois used an 8-2 flurry to create some distance. Meyers Leonard capped the surge with a three-point play to give the home team a 51-40 lead with 11:51 remaining.
Tim Jarmusz's three-pointer cut the deficit to 54-49 with 6:34 to go. The Illini, though, used a personal 6-0 run from McCamey to essentially put the game away.
Wisconsin never got closer than six the rest of the way.
The Illini hold a 110-75 advantage in the long-time series with the Badgers, which includes wins in two of the three meetings between the two a year ago...Illinois improved to 8-0 at home this season...The Illini shot 56.1 percent from the field, while Wisconsin made just 35 percent of its shots.
- WISCONSIN: 61
Jan 2 7:58 PM
- WISCONSIN: 34
Jan 2 6:45 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 6:06 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4