No. 11 Purdue rips IowaJan 9, 2011 - 11:08 PM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - Ryne Smith hit six three-pointers and finished with a game-high 18 points, as 11th-ranked Purdue earned an easy 75-52 win over Iowa in Big Ten action at Mackey Arena.
JaJuan Johnson netted 16 points and E'Twaun Moore ended with 11 points and seven rebounds for Purdue (15-1, 4-0 Big Ten), which has won 10 straight games since suffering a 65-54 loss to Richmond on November 27. Kelsey Barlow chipped in 11 points in the victory.
Matt Gatens scored a team-best 13 points for Iowa (7-8, 0-3), which has dropped three in a row. Melsahn Basabe had eight points in defeat.
Purdue scored the first 11 points of the contest to gain control. Then, a long jumper from Lewis Jackson and three-pointer by Smith stretched the Boilermakers' lead to 21-8 with 8:29 left in the half.
"We obviously had a good start. Our guys were ready to play," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. "I thought we did a good job in the first half of not letting them shoot threes."
Six straight points from Barlow gave the hosts a 29-12 cushion with 4:20 remaining, but Iowa closed the first half with consecutive baskets to cut its deficit to 34-20 heading into the locker room.
Eric May drained a three to open the second half and get the Hawkeyes within 11, but they didn't get any closer the rest of the way.
Smith answered with a three-ball on Purdue's next possession and Barlow's three-point play capped an 8-0 run for a 50-29 game with 14:16 left.
Jackson put his squad ahead 63-37 with a jumper with 8:22 remaining and Purdue maintained a comfortable lead the rest of the way.
Purdue improved to 83-70 in the all-time series against Iowa and is 9-0 at home this season...The Boilermakers shot 49.2 percent from the field and made 8-of-21 from three-point range. Iowa hit 36.5 percent of its shots and 2- of-7 from beyond the arc...Jackson finished with seven points, seven assists and five rebounds in the victory.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15