Leonard helps Aztecs stay unbeaten with win over CalDec 9, 2010 - 5:51 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Kawhi Leonard scored 20 points off the bench to lead 14th-ranked San Diego State to a 77-57 victory over California.
James Rahon added 15 points for the Aztecs (9-0), who have won the first nine games of their season for the first time in program history. D.J. Gay posted 14 points, and Billy White 10 in the victory.
Jorge Gutierrez recorded 19 points for the Golden Bears (5-3), who fell to 3-1 at home this season. Harper Kamp scored 18 in defeat.
Leading by only one, 43-42, early in the second half, the Aztecs put the game away with a 15-2 burst.
Gay began the spurt with a three-pointer with 13 1/2 minutes left, and he followed with another long distance shot a minute later for a seven-point lead.
White capped the run with a fastbreak dunk with 9:38 to go for a 58-44 difference, and the outcome was never in question the rest of the way.
Kamp's layup nearly six minutes into the contest gave Cal an early 14-9 advantage before consecutive three-pointers by Rahon gave SDSU an 18-15 lead with 11 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
Six straight Aztec points later gave San Diego State a 28-20 cushion following a Chase Tapley layup with 2:26 to go, though Cal answered with the final six points of the first half for a two-point difference at the break.
The all-time series between the schools is tied, 4-4...San Diego State is 4-0 on the road...The Aztecs won at Cal for the first time since 1941...SDSU went 10-of-22 from three-point range, while the Bears missed on all nine of their attempts.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 77
Dec 9 12:33 AM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 28
Dec 8 11:22 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 8 10:41 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21