Zanna leads Panthers over MarylandNov 19, 2010 - 5:52 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Talib Zanna posted a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds, as fifth-ranked Pittsburgh edged Maryland, 79-70, in the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer.
Ashton Gibbs scored 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Panthers (4-0), who will play for the tournament title on Friday against Texas.
"I think what you saw tonight was two really good teams getting after it and playing hard early," said Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon. "I think neither team was as good as they're going to be later in the year."
Cliff Tucker totaled a game-high 17 points with five assists for the Terrapins (3-1), who received 14 points and eight rebounds from Jordan Williams.
"As far as the game goes, we thought we could win the game," said Maryland head coach Gary Williams. "We are trying to find out how good we are as a team. We were 3-0, you know, not having played anyone of Pitt's caliber. But we have some new guys and we are trying to get everything together. It is a tough game to play this early -- not many practice days this time of year. I thought we did a good job overall."
A tight first half ended with Pittsburgh holding a 31-27 lead, and Gibbs knocked down a trey to give the Panthers a 42-29 advantage with 17:42 to play.
Maryland responded with a 17-4 surge over the next five minutes, tying the game at 46 on a three-point play by Berend Weijs.
Pittsburgh, though, scored the next seven points and led 66-56 after Travon Woodall nailed a jumper with 6:22 remaining. The Terrapins closed to within four, but the Panthers sealed the win at the free throw line.
Woodall and Gilbert Brown both scored 11 points for the Panthers...Pitt has won 64 of its last 69 games against non-conference opponents...Maryland lost for just the second time in seven all-time meetings.
- PITTSBURGH: 79
Nov 18 9:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 31
Nov 18 7:57 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 7:06 PM
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17