Walker, Florida top Morehead StateNov 21, 2010 - 10:55 PM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Erving Walker finished with 16 points and seven assists, as ninth-ranked Florida defeated Morehead State, 61-55, at the O'Connell Center.
Chandler Parsons turned in a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds for Florida (3-1), which demolished NC A&T on Thursday and have won two straight. Kenny Boynton added 10 points in the victory.
Kenneth Faried had a huge game with a game-high 20 points and 18 rebounds for Morehead State (2-2), which suffered a 60-58 loss to UNC-Wilmington on Thursday and have dropped two straight. Ty Proffitt chipped in 11 points in defeat.
Florida led for the majority of the opening 20 minutes and took a 34-17 lead into the intermission.
The Gators maintained a healthy 15-point lead, 45-30, after Patric Young's three-point play with 13:47 left, but Morehead State answered with nine straight points to make it a 45-39 game with nearly 11 minutes remaining.
Kenny Boynton's three-pointer with nearly 5 1/2 minutes on the clock restored the Gators' double-digit lead, 55-45, and Florida held on in the remaining time.
The Gators improved to 2-1 in the all-time series against Morehead State...Florida shot 38.9 percent from the field, while Morehead State made 36.7 percent of its shots...Vernon Macklin donated six points and seven rebounds in the victory.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Morehead State routs NAIA St. Catharine 105-66 Feb 16
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8