Gators chomp down on OwlsNov 24, 2010 - 2:47 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton led all scorers with 21 points and Alex Tyus chipped in with 19 points and seven rebounds, as 16th- ranked Florida defeated Florida Atlantic, 79-66, at the O'Connell Center.
Erving Walker netted 14 to go with six boards for Florida (4-1), which has won three straight since a 93-75 loss to Ohio State. Vernon Macklin donated 11 rebounds and five points.
Greg Gantt had a team-high 17 points for Florida Atlantic (3-3), which has dropped three of four. Raymond Taylor finished with 13 in defeat.
Kore White's three-pointer near the midway point of the opening half tied the game at 22-all and things stayed close the rest of the way.
Boynton responded with a four-point play for the Gators a short time later, but that was matched with back-to-back layups by Florida Atlantic to even the game at 26 with under seven minutes to play.
Then with Florida down by a point, 32-31, with 2:07 to play in the half, Boynton's layup and a Patric Young free throw in the closing seconds put the hosts ahead 34-32 heading into the break.
Florida maintained a slim one-point lead, 39-38, early in the second half before Walker started and finished an 8-1 run with a pair of layups to give the Gators a 47-39 advantage with 12:53 to play.
Chandler Parsons' triple with 2:58 left put UF ahead 72-59 and it held on in the remaining time.
Florida improved to 3-0 lifetime against Florida Atlantic...The Gators finished 44.8 percent from the field, while FAU made 42.1 percent of its shots.
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 66
Nov 23 9:03 PM
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 32
Nov 23 7:50 PM
- FLORIDA ATLANTIC: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 7:07 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18