82 - 85 Final - OT
  for this game

Missouri gets past Vanderbilt in OT

Dec 9, 2010 - 6:16 AM Columbia, MO (Sports Network) - Marcus Denmon's steal and subsequent layup with 5.8 seconds left in overtime provided the difference, as 15th-ranked Missouri survived a tough test with Vanderbilt, 85-82, at Mizzou Arena.

Vanderbilt's Festus Ezeli hit a short hook shot from the post that turned into a three-point play, giving the Commodores (7-2) an 82-80 lead with 56.5 seconds remaining in OT.

Missouri (7-1), however, answered with Michael Dixon's acrobatic up-and-under layup on the following possession to tie the game at 82 with just over 30 seconds to play.

Vandy held for the final shot, and the clock ticked below 10 seconds, however, Denmon stepped into a passing lane beyond the arc and streaked toward the hoop, drawing a foul on Brad Tinsley while hitting a layup to put the Tigers ahead.

"That's who Marcus is. He realizes his position on this team," said Missouri head coach Mike Anderson. "You can slowly see him emerging as a leader. He's talking a lot more, and guys are listening. You have to earn leadership, and he's earned it."

After he made a free throw for a three-point lead, Tinsley's last-ditch three- point attempt hit the back rim and fell harmlessly to the floor.

Denmon finished with 21 points, including 19 after halftime, for the Tigers, who have won 51 straight home games over non-conference opponents. Dixon scored 15, while Ricardo Ratliffe added 14 and nine rebounds in the win.

John Jenkins led the Commodores with 23 points, while Jeffery Taylor registered 18 points and 10 boards in defeat. Ezeli contributed 16 points and nine boards for Vandy.

"They made just a few more plays than we did, and I thought it was an extremely hard-fought game on both sides," said Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings. "I thought it was very well officiated; it was a hard game to call, and I felt that those guys did a good job."

Ezeli's putback layup with 1:07 left in regulation gave Vanderbilt a 72-70 lead, and Kim English went only 1-of-2 from the line at the other end with a chance to tie.

The Commodores ran down as much of the clock as possible before Tinsley tried a shot that missed the rim. Taylor grabbed the rebound and was fouled with 25.5 seconds left -- one second on the shot clock.

With a chance to give Vandy a three-point lead, Taylor missed both attempts. Missouri's first shot with a chance to win also missed the rim, but Ratliffe corralled the rebound amidst several defenders and was fouled.

He made 1-of-2 to tie the game, and Tinsley's potential game-winning three was off the mark for Vanderbilt to send the contest to OT.

Mizzou held a slim 40-37 lead after the first half, and neither team led by more than six in a back-and-forth second half.

Game Notes

Vandy still leads the all-time series, 3-2...Missouri had 22 more field goal attempts than Vanderbilt but the same amount of field goals made. The Tigers went 31-of-81 from the field, compared to 31-of-59 for the Commodores...Vandy went just 11-of-22 from the free throw line, compared to 15-of-22 for Mizzou.