Seton Hall sends No. 9 Syracuse to third straight lossJan 26, 2011 - 4:13 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Jeremy Hazell tallied 28 points, nine rebounds and four steals, as the Seton Hall Pirates dominated the ninth-ranked Syracuse Orange, 90-68, at the Carrier Dome.
Hazell went 10-of-17 from the field, including a 5-of-10 performance from beyond the arc, for the Pirates (9-12, 3-6 Big East), who snapped a three-game skid.
Jordan Theodore added 19 points, seven assists and six boards for Seton Hall, which had lost its last five games against Syracuse. Fuquan Edwin and Jeff Robinson chipped in with 13 and 12 points, respectively.
Kris Joseph had 17 points and six rebounds to pace the Orange (18-3, 5-3), who have dropped three in a row -- all conference games -- after starting the season with 18 consecutive wins.
Rick Jackson finished with 12 points, 11 boards, six blocks and three steals for Syracuse, which got 11 points apiece from Brandon Triche and Scoop Jardine.
The Orange shot a season-low 36.1 percent from the floor and hit just 5-of-21 shots from three-point range. Meanwhile, Seton Hall made 54.1 percent of its shots, including a 10-of-17 performance from beyond the arc.
"I think as much as our defense was bad, I think the problems we had in the first half were more offensively," Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. "We missed about seven or eight shots around the basket. We know (Jeremy) Hazell can shoot and he made a couple easy shots, but a couple shots he made were extremely difficult, very contested."
The Pirates started the game on a 10-2 run, with Hazell bookending the surge with a pair of three-pointers.
A Theodore trey extended Seton Hall's margin to 37-23 with 4:19 left in the first half.
The Pirates shot 55.2 percent from the field over the initial 20 minutes to take a 43-30 lead. In comparison, the Orange made 34.4 percent of their shots.
Seton Hall scored the first seven points of the second half to build a 50-30 margin on Hazell's jumper just 3 1/2 minutes in.
The Pirates cruised to victory from there.
Syracuse still owns a commanding 44-16 series lead over Seton Hall...Herb Pope had 10 points and eight rebounds for the Pirates.
- SETON HALL: 90
Jan 25 8:58 PM
- SETON HALL: 43
Jan 25 7:49 PM
- SETON HALL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 25 7:04 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25