UConn dominates ProvidenceFeb 14, 2011 - 3:43 AM Connecticut pulled away in the second half to defeat Providence, 75-57.
Kemba Walker netted 22 points, seven assists and six rebounds for the recently struggling Huskies (19-5, 7-5 Big East), who had lost three of the last four coming into the game.
Marshon Brooks had 25 points and seven rebounds for the Friars (14-11, 3-9), who have dropped three of the last four.
"I give credit to UConn," said Providence head coach Keno Davis. "I thought they played an extremely great second half. I thought both teams really battled in the first half, and it was hard to get a flow going. But, in the second half, they really exposed some weaknesses on our team."
Tied at 41-41 with 14:44 left in the game, Coombs-McDaniel hit two free throws to spark a 14-3 run to set the two teams apart for good. Shabazz Napier's trey ended the spurt giving the Huskies a 55-44 advantage with 10 1/2 minutes to go.
From there, the Friars were only able to cut into the lead by seven several times, as UConn extended it to as much as 20 with 1:17 left on Coombs- McDaniel's trey.
"I just found myself in all the right spots tonight," Coombs-McDaniel said. "My teammates found me.
"It's definitely a boost for my confidence like it would do with anyone else's. I've just got to keep working. Hopefully it will just keep happening like this."
The Huskies used a five-point spurt, concluded by Walker's trey, to knot the game at nine early on.
Providence, though, stayed in front for most of the half, until Coombs- McDaniel's layup put UConn up 31-30 with a minute left and then he netted two free throws to make up for a 33-30 lead at intermission.
The Huskies hold a 42-27 series lead...Connecticut is 12-2 at home this season and now 4-2 against Big East foes...Brooks was 10-of-12 from the free throw line, while Bryce Cotton pitched in 10 points in the loss.
- PROVIDENCE: 57
Feb 13 9:00 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 30
Feb 13 7:51 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 13 7:23 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4