Wright leads No. 9 Georgetown over USFFeb 20, 2011 - 4:18 AM Tampa, FL (Sports Network) - Chris Wright scored a season-high 26 points to pace the ninth-ranked Georgetown Hoyas over the South Florida Bulls, 61-55.
Jason Clark added 10 points for the Hoyas (21-6, 10-5 Big East), who bounced back from a 78-70 loss against No. 13 Connecticut on Wednesday. Julian Vaughn and Hollis Thompson chipped in eight and seven points, respectively.
Augustus Gilchrist finished with 22 points and seven rebounds for the Bulls (8-20, 2-13), who have dropped six in a row. Jawanza Poland and Hugh Robertson tallied 12 and 10 points, respectively.
South Florida kept it close early and used a 14-3 run midway through the first half to take the lead. Toarlyn Fitzpatrick tallied all seven of his points during the surge, which Poland capped with a jumper for a 24-17 margin with 7:18 left.
Georgetown, though, scored the next nine points to take the lead for good. Wright's two free throws gave the Hoyas a 26-24 edge, and Vaughn added a jumper moments later to make it 28-26 at the break.
Holding a 42-38 lead near the midway mark of the second half, Georgetown put together a 7-0 flurry to create some distance. Wright tallied four points during the surge, which Clark capped with a layup for a 49-38 margin with 6:44 to play.
The Bulls hung around and made things a bit interesting down the stretch. Robertson's layup and Poland's two free throws cut the gap to 55-51 with 53.9 seconds remaining.
South Florida got the ball right back after Wright turned the ball over, but Robertson was blocked by Thompson. Wright went 6-of-6 from the foul line down the stretch to seal the victory.
Georgetown owns a 7-3 lead in the all-time series with South Florida...The Hoyas shot 51.2 percent from the field, while the Bulls made just 39 percent of their shots...Georgetown went 6-of-13 from three-point range, while South Florida went 1-of-12 from beyond the arc.
- GEORGETOWN: 61
SOUTH FLORIDA: 55
Feb 19 8:57 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 28
SOUTH FLORIDA: 26
Feb 19 7:48 PM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 7:04 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13