Pitt overcomes slow start to down South FloridaMar 3, 2011 - 5:07 AM South Florida, 66-50, at the Sun Dome.
Ashton Gibbs provided 16 points while Brad Wanamaker supplied seven points, seven boards and seven assists for the Panthers (26-4, 14-3 Big East), who can clinch the Big East regular season title on Saturday with a win over Villanova or a Notre Dame loss to Connecticut.
Pitt's Jamie Dixon set the all-time NCAA Division I record for most wins after eight seasons as a head coach with his 214th victory to surpass North Carolina State's Everett Case.
Jarrid Famous tallied 15 points and 12 boards while Augustus Gilchrist added 15 points for the Bulls (9-21, 3-14), who have dropped seven of their last eight games. They will finish the regular season Saturday at St. John's.
Trailing by three at the break, Pitt grabbed control with a 14-2 run to open the second half, forging a 38-29 lead with just over 15 minutes remaining.
Gibbs canned a triple to extend the lead to 49-34 and a Gary McGhee three- point play pushed the margin to 60-41 with 6:16 left to play.
Pitt was not challenged the rest of the way in establishing a program record with its seventh league win away from home.
South Florida opened up a 25-20 lead in a back-and-forth first half. Robinson's layup in the final seconds pulled Pitt within 27-24 at halftime.
Robinson was 6-of-8 from the floor and 6-of-9 at the foul line...Gibbs ended 6-of-9 from the floor, including 4-of-6 from beyond the arc...Pitt made 5-of-9 three-point tries...Gilbert Brown added 10 points and McGhee ended with nine points and five rebounds in the win...South Florida shot just 36.5 percent from the floor (19-of-52), including a 1-of-9 effort from long range.
- PITTSBURGH: 66
SOUTH FLORIDA: 50
Mar 2 10:54 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 24
SOUTH FLORIDA: 27
Mar 2 9:50 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SOUTH FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 9:06 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26