Butler tops Milwaukee for another Horizon League titleMar 9, 2011 - 4:26 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Butler can relax when the NCAA Tournament field is announced on Sunday, as Matt Howard's 18 points powered last year's national runner-up past Milwaukee, 59-44, to capture the Horizon League Tournament title.
Shelvin Mack added 14 points for the Bulldogs (23-9), winners of nine straight after a slow start following a memorable 2010 Final Four run.
Anthony Hill ended with 10 points and eight rebounds for the Panthers (19-13), who had won 10 of 11 coming in and knocked off the defending conference champions twice in the regular season to earn the No. 1 seed and home-court advantage.
The crowd was taken out of it less than five minutes into the game, as Howard hit a pair of three-pointers to spark a 14-0 run that lasted seven minutes and saw Butler jump out to a 23-6 lead.
The margin at the break was 33-20, but Milwaukee got back into it with a flurry to start the second half. Tony Meier made a pair from behind the arc, Tone Boyle made three free throws and Ryan Allen put in a layup to cut the deficit to 38-34 four minutes in.
Allen had another lay-in around the midway point to make it a three-point game, 42-39, but Butler took over from there. Howard and Shawn Vanzant each converted inside on consecutive possessions, and Howard added a dunk to push the lead to 48-39 with just over eight minutes to go.
Boyle made a free throw to stop the run, but Chase Stigall and Mack both answered with makes from long range to all but seal the outcome.
This was the Bulldogs' seventh conference tournament crown...Milwaukee has not won it since 2006...Boyle and Meier both ended with 10 points for Milwaukee, which shot 30.0 percent from the floor.
- BUTLER: 59
Mar 8 11:07 PM
- BUTLER: 33
Mar 8 10:03 PM
- BUTLER: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 8 9:12 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Milwaukee hires Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan as coach Apr 7
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Fired Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter: It's been a difficult day Mar 17
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9