Long Island takes home Northeast title in OT winMar 10, 2011 - 3:21 AM Brooklyn, NY (Sports Network) - Jamal Olasewere scored seven of his 31 points in overtime, and Long Island won the Northeast Conference Tournament with an 85-82 victory over Robert Morris.
Chasing their first NCAA Tournament berth since 1997 -- when they won their last conference title -- the top-seeded Blackbirds (27-5) overcame a game- tying three-pointer late in regulation by Robert Morris.
Olasewere scored five straight Long Island points in overtime to give his team the lead for good. Jason Brickman and C.J. Garner added 15 points apiece in the Blackbirds' 13th straight win.
Russell Johnson buried the game-tying three in regulation, hitting the shot over Garner's outstretched arm with 16.8 seconds left. He led Robert Morris (18-14) with 22 points. Velton Jones added 20 points and Lijah Thompson scored 15 in the loss, which snapped an eight-game winning streak.
The closest thing to an NEC powerhouse, the third-seeded Colonials entered the final on an eight-game winning streak and were looking for their third straight conference championship.
They battled back from an eight-point deficit in the final two minutes of regulation, ending it on a 10-2 run. They had the early lead in overtime, but couldn't hang on.
Olasewere knocked down a jumper, a layup and one foul shot to give Long Island the lead for good with about a minute left in the extra period.
Robert Morris still leads the all-time series 36-27...The Colonials were seeking a league-record eighth NEC title overall...Long Island was playing in its first league title game since 1997-98.
- ROBERT MORRIS: 82
LONG ISLAND: 85
Final - OT
Mar 9 9:26 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 74
LONG ISLAND: 74
End of Regulation
Mar 9 9:05 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 33
LONG ISLAND: 32
Mar 9 7:51 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 0
LONG ISLAND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 9 7:03 PM
- Toole gets extension at Robert Morris Apr 15
- Duke crushes Robert Morris in NCAA opener Mar 21
- Colonials and Blue Devils mix it up in NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 6 Tar Heels beat Robert Morris 103-59 Nov 17
- Colonials tangle with sixth-ranked Tar Heels Nov 16
- Mount St. Mary's and Robert Morris meet in NEC title tilt Mar 11
- Forte, Cowboys crush Colonials Dec 31
- Cowboys clash with Colonials in non-league fray Dec 30