Gay's lay up lifts SDSU over UNLVMar 12, 2011 - 7:48 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - D.J. Gay put in the game-winner with 4.9 seconds left as No. 7 San Diego State took a 74-72 win over UNLV in the semifinals of the Mountain West Conference.
After a swiped pass at the other end, San Diego State went down the court and got the ball to Gay. He charged into the paint and flipped it into the basket for a 74-72 lead.
Tre'Von Willis' desperation three-pointer just before the buzzer missed as the Aztecs (31-2) punched their ticket to Saturday's final against BYU.
Gay had 15 points, Kawhi Leonard added 18 points and eight rebounds and Malcolm Thomas had 13 points, eight rebounds and five assists for San Diego State, which will appear in its third straight championship game and is looking for its fourth title.
Chace Stanback had 22 points and six rebounds and Willis finished with 19 points for the Rebels (24-8), who lost to the Aztecs in the title game last year.
San Diego State held a 10-point lead, 23-13, on a Thomas dunk with 9 1/2 minutes to play in the first half, but a 12-3 run by UNLV saw the team take a 30-29 lead on a Stanback three with 5 1/2 minutes left.
However, Gay hit a three-ball and Billy White scored the final four points of the half to give San Diego State a 44-34 lead at the break.
The Aztecs held the lead through much of the second half, but two free throws from Willis, a Stanback layup and two more free throws from Stanback with 2:53 left gave UNLV a 68-66 lead.
Thomas countered with two free throws and an Oscar Bellfield miss was followed with a Tapley layup for a 70-68 UNLV lead with 2:05 left.
Anthony Marshall followed with two free throws and, following a couple of misses by San SDiego State, Stanback hit a jumper with 55.9 seconds to play.
Thomas then hit two free throws with 43.1 left to tie the game and setup the final sequence.
San Diego State shot 48.2 percent from the floor...UNLV made 45.5 percent of its shots...UNLV still leads the series, 32-20...White finished the game with 12 points.
- UNLV: 72
SAN DIEGO STATE: 74
Mar 12 1:34 AM
- UNLV: 34
SAN DIEGO STATE: 44
Mar 12 12:19 AM
- UNLV: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 11 11:37 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5