North Carolina handles Nicholls StateDec 20, 2011 - 4:46 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - James Michael McAdoo scored 14 points and pulled down seven rebounds as fifth-ranked North Carolina routed Nicholls State 99-49.
Dexter Strickland also netted 14 points, while P.J. Hairston added 13 and Reggie Bullock notched a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds for UNC (10-2), which recorded its 53rd straight win against a non-conference opponent in the Smith Center.
Bryan Hammond paced Nicholls State (4-8) with 15 points, including 11 of the team's 22 points in the first half.
"They were just superior," Nicholls State head coach J.P. Piper said. "You just tip your hat to a superior opponent."
The rout started early as the Tar Heels opened the game with an 11-3 run and never trailed throughout the contest, holding a 48-22 lead at the break while Nicholls State shot just 33.3 percent from the field with a 3-for-11 mark from three-point range.
The second half was much of the same as Nicholls State continued to struggle from the field and North Carolina ran away with the victory.
"When we walked out on the court I just told everybody to hold their own down and just get out in the defensive lanes, get steals, and just play with enthusiasm and find each other - and that's what we did," said Bullock.
North Carolina has won both meetings between the teams...The Tar Heels extended their home win streak to 23 games. The team record is a 25-game stretch from 1992-94...Nicholls State finished the game 22-for-70 from the floor (31.4 percent), while UNC made 37-of-85 shots (43.5 percent)...Nicholls State went 0-for-8 from beyond the arc in the second half.
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29