Zeller, UNC hammer NC StateJan 27, 2012 - 3:09 AM North Carolina to a 74-55 victory over the North Carolina State Wolfpack.
Harrison Barnes had 15 points and Reggie Bullock scored 11 for the Tar Heels (17-3, 4-1 ACC), who took the court for the first time without starter Dexter Strickland.
The junior guard tore his right ACL last Thursday at Virginia Tech and will miss the rest of the season.
John Henson provided nine points, 10 rebounds and five blocks, and Kendall Marshall dished out 11 assists in North Carolina's 30th consecutive home win.
"We were really good for certain parts of that game, there's no question about that," said North Carolina head coach Roy Williams.
Scott Wood led the Wolfpack (15-6, 4-2) with 11 points. NC State had its winning streak snapped at three games.
"They're bigger than we are. We didn't do a very good job of drawing fouls inside. I think that's where we got frustrated," said NC State head coach Mark Gottfried. "Even if it was on the block, we stopped and stood around rather than continuing with our offense. That was the frustrating part of it for me."
The highlight of the opening half featured NC State's Lorenzo Brown banking in a buzzer-beating three-pointer from behind his own free throw line. Unfortunately for the Wolfpack, they still trailed 37-23 at halftime after shooting just 25 percent.
And it only got worse for the visitors following the break.
A Marshall jumper made it 49-28 and the advantage ballooned to a game-high 31 at 63-32 on two Zeller free throws with less than 11 minutes remaining.
The Tar Heels have won 11 straight over NC State, matching the school's longest ever win streak against the Wolfpack. UNC notched 11 wins in a row from February 10, 1934 to February 22, 1938...The Tar Heels made 48 percent of their field goal attempts.
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 55
NORTH CAROLINA: 74
Jan 26 8:54 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 23
NORTH CAROLINA: 37
Jan 26 7:53 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 26 7:07 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5