Barnes helps North Carolina down Georgia TechJan 30, 2012 - 1:28 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Harrison Barnes scored a game-high 23 points, as No. 7 North Carolina cruised to a 93-81 win over Georgia Tech on Sunday.
The Tar Heels (18-3, 5-1 ACC) had lost four straight to Georgia Tech, but got 17 points from Tyler Zeller, 13 points from John Henson and 12 assists from Kendall Marshall in the dominant effort. They have won three straight since suffering a 90-57 setback at Florida State.
Mfon Udofia had a team-high 16 points and Jason Morris added 15 for the Yellow Jackets (8-13, 1-6), losers of five straight and nine of 10.
UNC controlled the opening half, using an 8-of-12 performance from beyond the arc and crisp ball movement to methodically build a sizeable lead.
The advantage reached double digits less than 10 minutes in when Stilman White knocked down and open three to make it 23-12. Later, Marshall found Zeller and then Henson underneath for two of his nine first-half assists, and Barnes hit a trey after a Julian Royal bucket to stretch the lead to 15, 38-23.
It reached 20 with 2 1/2 minutes left on a pair of P.J. Hairston free throws and the Tar Heels held for a 52-32 advantage at the break.
UNC flirted with the 20-point cushion for the majority of the runaway second half. The score was 91-71 with 3 1/2 minutes remaining before the Yellow Jackets closed with an inconsequential 10-2 run to seal the final result.
Barnes led the way with 12 second-half points for the Tar Heels, while Morris scored all 15 of his points after the break.
The Tar Heels' four-game losing streak to Georgia Tech was their longest in program history against the Yellow Jackets. They lead the all-time series, 61-24...Georgia Tech's only win in its last 10 games came at NC State on January 11.
- GEORGIA TECH: 81
NORTH CAROLINA: 93
Jan 29 7:49 PM
- GEORGIA TECH: 32
NORTH CAROLINA: 52
Jan 29 6:46 PM
- GEORGIA TECH: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 6:02 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- Georgia Tech hires Pastner from Memphis to replace Gregory Apr 9
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31