Zeller leads No. 5 UNC past Wake ForestFeb 1, 2012 - 5:51 AM North Carolina used a big second half run Tuesday night to pull away from Wake Forest for a 68-53 win.
John Henson added 14 points and 12 rebounds for North Carolina (19-3, 6-1 ACC) while Kendall Marshall also scored 14 and Harrison Barnes had 13 points.
The Tar Heels won their fourth straight game, but shot just 31 percent. They went on a 16-1 run in the second half that extended their lead from seven points to 22.
C.J. Harris scored 19 points for Wake Forest to land on 1,000 career points exactly. But the Demon Deacons (11-11, 2-6) lost their third straight game and fell to 1-6 in their last seven. They shot just 29.6 percent.
"It was an ugly game," North Carolina coach Roy Williams said. "But sometimes you have to win ugly to have a great year."
Making up for a poor offense, the Tar Heels had 12 blocks and out-rebounded the Demon Deacons 55-40.
"Their length really had an impact on the game around the rim," said Wake Forest coach Jeff Bzdelik. "We had some opportunities around the rim, but couldn't finish."
The Tar Heels had a 36-24 lead at the break, but Wake Forest was within 44-37 on Chase Fischer's jumper midway through the second half.
Henson's bucket at the other end sparked North Carolina's decisive run, which lasted almost five minutes. Marshall scored five points during it, including a steal and fastbreak layup near the end.
Zeller's layup capped the surge, giving the Tar Heels a 60-38 lead with 6:14 remaining. Wake Forest was never closer than the final margin.
North Carolina leads the all-time series 154-65 and has won three in a row and seven of the last nine meetings...The Tar Heels, who are 14-0 at home, moved to 3-2 in true road games.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 68
WAKE FOREST: 53
Jan 31 11:00 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 36
WAKE FOREST: 24
Jan 31 9:51 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
WAKE FOREST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 31 9:05 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2