Armstead helps Lions upend BillikensNov 30, 2011 - 5:42 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - LaRon Armstead erupted for a career-high 22 points and Anthony Ireland scored five of his 17 points in the closing minutes, helping Loyola Marymount upend No. 23 Saint Louis, 75-68.
Jarred DuBois chipped in 16 points for the Lions (4-2), who scored 18 points off 15 turnovers in the team's third straight win.
Cody Ellis netted 18 points for Saint Louis (6-1), while Kwamain Mitchell and Brian Conklin each added 13 points in defeat.
The Billikens were ranked for the first time since 1994 after winning the 76 Classic in Anaheim with victories over Boston College, Villanova, and Oklahoma.
A tight first half ended with Saint Louis clinging to a 30-26 advantage, and it stayed neck-and-neck throughout the final 20 minutes.
DuBois scored seven straight points midway through the half to turn a one- point deficit into a six-point lead, with his two free throws yielding a 58-52 edge with under 6:19 to play.
The margin stood at six coming down the stretch, and Ireland drained a long fallaway to beat the shot clock, then countered two Ellis free throws with a tough floater in the lane for a 68-60 cushion with 1:01 showing.
Armstead sealed the win with a 6-for-6 effort at the foul line in the final 37 seconds.
Ashley Hamilton missed a third straight game for Loyola Marymount due to a foot injury...There were nine lead changes and nine ties...Saint Louis did not have any fast break points.
- ST. LOUIS: 68
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 75
Nov 29 11:58 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 30
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 26
Nov 29 10:47 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 29 10:06 PM
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6