No. 12 Georgetown drops Providence for 10th straight winDec 31, 2011 - 11:14 PM Georgetown fended off Providence, 49-40, to stretch its winning streak to 10 games.
Henry Sims finished with 11 points, seven boards and four blocks for the Hoyas (12-1, 2-0 Big East), who are enjoying their longest run since an 11-game streak in 2006-07.
"With this group, all we're concerned with is accumulating wins," said Hoyas head coach John Thompson III. "Some nights it's going to be pretty, a lot of nights in this league it's not going to be pretty."
LaDontae Henton posted a double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds for Providence (11-4, 0-2), which had a seven-game winning streak snapped in its conference opener, a 91-67 loss at St. John's on Tuesday.
Nursing a three-point lead, Sims made 1-of-2 free throws and Otto Porter corralled the offensive rebound for Georgetown. Markel Starks then hit a floater in the lane to put the Hoyas up 46-40 inside the final minute, and Clark sealed the victory with a breakaway layup after the Friars committed a turnover.
"What I told my team in the locker room is that we have to learn how to win, we gotta face adversity," said Providence head coach Ed Cooley. "I thought we had stops but second shots under four minutes really hurt us."
Georgetown, which was coming Wednesday's triumph at previously unbeaten No. 4 Louisville, went on a 15-0 run to take control early, and a Porter jumper made it 24-10 with about four minutes to go in the first half.
Providence trailed by eight at halftime, but pulled even at 35-35 on a Henton free throw with eight minutes remaining.
The Hoyas hold a 41-19 edge in the series and has won each of the last six games against the Friars...Porter had a game-high 12 rebounds...Vincent Council contributed 10 points, five rebounds and five assists for Providence, but committed six of the team's 13 turnovers...Georgetown shot 31 percent, while the Friars made 26 percent of their shots.
- PROVIDENCE: 40
Dec 31 3:59 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 19
Dec 31 2:51 PM
- PROVIDENCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 2:07 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31