Missouri tops Aggies in Big 12 matchupJan 17, 2012 - 4:27 AM
Ricardo Ratliffe finished with 17 points for the Tigers (17-1, 4-1 Big 12), who are off to their best start since the 1981-82 season, when they were 19-0. Marcus Denmon added 16 points and nine rebounds to the win.
"I mean, we are 17-1 right now, so we are just going to keep working on getting better," said Missouri head coach Frank Haith. "The concern is just to finish the game. That's the thing I'm proud of; we finished this game. We aren't going to play perfect every night."
Elston Turner and Khris Middleton both scored 13 for the Aggies (10-7, 1-4), who were coming off Saturday's victory against Texas Tech.
Texas A&M had won the last eight matchups with Missouri, and started off well in Monday's contest. The Aggies were in front early, and held a 17-14 lead after Ray Turner's layup midway through the first half.
But they went more than six more minutes before scoring again, allowing the Tigers to take control. The hosts went on a 17-0 run, which Dixon began with a three. He hit another deep shot in the middle of the rally, and Denmon closed it with a long-distance make.
The burst made it a 31-17 contest with just more than four minutes left, and Missouri carried a 42-23 lead into the break.
"I thought we started throwing alley-oops and taking quick shots," said Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy. "Here at Missouri, you don't do that when you don't have the firepower offensively that they do. Then it got loud and then it makes it hard to run your offense."
The Aggies never threatened in the second half, shooting 9-of-23 from the field. It was a better percentage than the 8-of-25 figure they posted in the first half, but far from enough to overcome the double-digit deficit.
The Tigers made only six field goals in the second half, but shot 16-of-17 from the foul line.
Texas A&M had been 3-0 all-time in Mizzou Arena, which opened in 2004...Turner had 13 points for Texas A&M...Missouri held a 38-26 rebounding advantage...The Tigers made 27-of-31 foul shots overall...The Aggies committed 15 turnovers and had only five assists.
- TEXAS A&M: 51
Jan 16 7:39 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 23
Jan 16 6:26 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 16 5:35 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9