Sullinger, Ohio State thump IowaJan 8, 2012 - 12:20 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Jared Sullinger scored 28 points, and sixth- ranked Ohio State used a strong defensive effort to rout Iowa, 76-47, at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Deshaun Thomas netted 10 points for Ohio State (15-2, 3-1 Big Ten), which has won two in a row since losing at Indiana. William Buford finished with 11 rebounds, eight points and five assists in the victory.
Eric May scored nine points to lead the Hawkeyes (10-7, 2-2), who had won their last two. They shot 32.1 percent in Saturday's loss.
"You find yourself shooting a lot of either contested or sort of rushed shots, and then like I said, the thing they do, also, is they rebound," Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said of Ohio State. "So if you don't make it a contested shot, then you don't have a whole lot of second-shot opportunities."
Iowa stayed close for most of the first half, and was within a possession late in the period even after falling behind by nine. May hit a long-distance shot and a layup during a six-point burst the Hawkeyes used to pull within 22-19 with just under three minutes remaining.
However, Sullinger followed with a layup, and the Buckeyes closed the half with dunks by J.D. Weatherspoon and Sullinger.
They carried the 28-19 advantage into the locker room and opened the second half with a 10-2 run. Thomas and Lenzelle Smith, Jr. connected on threes during the surge, which had OSU ahead by 17 points.
"We made some shots, and it's like I told Lenzelle and Deshaun at halftime -- they had to sit the majority of the first half. I said, 'Look, don't even think about scoring, don't even think about it. All I need you to do is play defense,'" said Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. "And they went out and hit three threes. So, maybe I'll keep them in that mindset."
The Buckeyes' lead continued to grow, and reached 51-29 when Buford made a foul shot with just under 12 minutes to play. That free throw closed an 11-2 burst, and OSU cruised from there.
OSU has won seven in a row against Iowa, and nine of the last 10 meetings...The Buckeyes shot 51.6 percent, sinking 33 field goal attempts...Iowa made just 17 shots from the field...The Buckeyes have won by double figures in 13 of their 15 victories this season.
- OHIO STATE: 76
Jan 7 4:55 PM
- OHIO STATE: 28
Jan 7 3:52 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 7 3:08 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10