UCF upsets No. 4 UConn, snaps 16-game win streakNov 26, 2011 - 9:37 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - UCF halted No. 4 Connecticut's nation-leading, 16-game win streak with a 68-63 comeback victory in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Marcus Jordan and Keith Clanton both poured in 20 points for UCF (4-1), which advanced to play Harvard in Saturday's title game.
The Knights outscored Connecticut 39-25 over the final 20 minutes of play to dispatch the defending national champions.
"I'm just really proud of our team today," said UCF coach Donnie Jones. "We never tucked our heads and we just kept fighting."
Jeremy Lamb scored 15 points, while Alex Oriakhi added 14 points and Andre Drummond finished with 13 for the Huskies (5-1), who suffered their first loss since March 5.
The Knights, who had never before taken down a fourth-ranked team, trailed by as many as 17 points early in the second half.
They rallied, though, as Jordan's three-pointer capped a 17-2 run and cut the deficit to 52-50 with just under 10 minutes remaining.
Lamb answered immediately with a three-pointer, triggering a frenzied back- and-forth spurt.
With 3:11 remaining, Jordan -- who scored 17 second-half points -- grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled on the put-back attempt. He sank both free throws, giving the Knights a 58-57 lead.
"My shot was not falling," said Jordan. "I wanted to get into the paint, be more aggressive and draw fouls."
Isaiah Sykes added to the advantage with back-to-back layups before Drummond scored to make it 62-59 with just over a minute remaining.
The Knights closed the game from the charity stripe, as Jordan hit 4-of-4 free throws and Tristan Spurlock sank a pair to seal the improbable victory.
UCF, which defeated College of Charleston in Thursday's opener, held an early 8-7 lead. The Huskies, though, reeled off a 10-2 run to establish control midway through the opening half.
Oriakhi provided a spark over the first 20 minutes of play, scoring nine points on 3-of-5 shooting to go with four boards and a pair of blocks. Lamb added eight points over that span and nailed a step-back jumper to give UConn a 38-29 lead at intermission.
Jordan is the son of NBA legend Michael Jordan...Clanton hit a career-high four three-pointers...The Huskies' last loss came on March 5 against Notre Dame...This was the first game between UCF and Connecticut since December 20, 2009. The Huskies won that contest 60-51.
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 68
Nov 25 4:08 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 29
Nov 25 3:02 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 2:11 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23