No. 19 Butler bests Evansville to stay hotDec 22, 2012 - 10:02 PM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Andrew Smith and Rotnei Clarke each scored 20 points as the 19th-ranked Butler Bulldogs held off the Evansville Purple Aces, 75-67.
Kellen Dunham and Roosevelt Jones added 13 and 12 points, respectively, for the Bulldogs (9-2), who stunned previously unbeaten and then-No. 1 ranked Indiana in overtime last Saturday. Kameron Woods added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
Colt Ryan ended with 25 points for the Purple Aces (7-5), who had a two-game winning streak snapped. Ned Cox and Ryan Sawvell tallied 12 and 10 points, respectively.
Trailing by four, 13-9, with 11:13 left in the first half, Butler went on a 21-8 run to take the lead. Clarke and Dunham each tallied seven points during the surge. Dunham capped the burst with three free throws to make it 30-21 with 4:46 remaining.
Evansville stayed within striking distance and cut the gap to 35-31 on Sawvell's layup and a pair of Cox free throws.
The Bulldogs tried to pull away early in the second half. Holding a 41-36 edge with 16:31 to play, the Bulldogs ripped off seven straight points. Clarke's three-point play made it a 48-36 contest.
However, the Purple Aces responded with a 7-0 run of their own. Cox's 3- pointer and layups from Sawvell and Jordan Jahr cut the gap to 48-43 with 11:59 left.
Butler kept its cool and extended its margin to 56-45 on Dunham's layup and jumper.
The Bulldogs went 5-of-6 from the foul line in the final minute to secure their sixth straight victory.
Evansville leads the all-time series by a 62-56 margin, but Butler has won 12 of the last 15 meetings ... The Bulldogs went 23-of-27 from the foul line.
- EVANSVILLE: 67
Dec 22 4:14 PM
- EVANSVILLE: 31
Dec 22 2:56 PM
- EVANSVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 2:08 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2