No. 14 Butler handles George WashingtonFeb 9, 2013 - 10:09 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Rotnei Clarke had 14 points, six rebounds and three steals to lead No. 14 Butler to a 59-56 win over George Washington on Saturday.
Roosevelt Jones recorded 12 points and seven rebounds and Kellen Dunham added 10 points off the bench for Butler (20-4, 7-2 A-10), which has won three straight.
Isaiah Armwood had a team-high 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Colonials (11-11, 5-4), who came into the game off a win against Duquesne on Wednesday. Joe McDonald and Lasan Kromah scored 10 points apiece.
Butler had a 31-22 advantage at halftime, then held George Washington scoreless for the first three minutes of the second half in extending its lead to 13 points.
George Washington had trouble offensively, shooting 27.9 percent from the field and 1-for-12 from three-point range for the game. However, the Colonials still clawed their way back into contention, helped by a 7 1/2 minute stretch during the second half in which Butler went without a field goal.
With 44 seconds left in the game, McDonald made two free throws to put George Washington within one, 57-56.
Dunham's two free throws with 23 seconds left to play then gave Butler a 59-56 edge.
McDonald and Nemanja Mikic had 3-point attempts within the final 10 seconds, but neither was able to get the shot in. McDonald attempted to shoot again, but was stripped as he went up for the try just as time expired.
Jones scored 10 of his points in the first half ... George Washington hosted its highest ranked opponent since 2000 ... Butler hosts Charlotte on Wednesday ... George Washington travels to Virginia Commonwealth next Saturday.
- BUTLER: 59
GEORGE WASHINGTON: 56
Feb 9 4:18 PM
- BUTLER: 31
GEORGE WASHINGTON: 22
Feb 9 2:49 PM
- BUTLER: 0
GEORGE WASHINGTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 2:06 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30