Charlotte, Henry take down No. 11 ButlerFeb 14, 2013 - 3:38 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Pierria Henry scored 17 points and led Charlotte to a 71-67 upset victory over 11th-ranked Butler on Wednesday.
Willie Clayton and Chris Braswell scored 11 points apiece, while Darion Clark recorded 10 points and nine rebounds for the 49ers (18-6, 6-4 A-10), who came into the contest on a two-game losing streak.
Rotnei Clarke had a game-high 18 points for Butler (20-5, 7-3), which had its three-game winning streak snapped. Roosevelt Jones registered 17 points and nine rebounds.
With 3 1/2 minutes remaining in regulation, Charlotte held a 60-50 advantage.
However, Butler would then outscore the 49ers by a 17-8 margin, capped off by a three-pointer by Clarke that closed the deficit to 68-67 with just eight seconds remaining. Clarke scored 13 points during the swing.
Butler's Khyle Marshall then fouled Henry, who made his first free throw to give Charlotte a 69-67 edge. However, he missed the second and Butler's Chase Stigall grabbed the defensive rebound, allowing the Bulldogs to call a timeout with just three seconds left.
Stigall attempted to pass, but Victor Nickerson stole the ball and subsequently drew a foul with one second remaining. Nickerson made both of his free throws to put the game out of reach.
Charlotte held a 29-27 margin at halftime.
Butler was 10-of-29 from three-point range ... The Bulldogs had a 12-game home winning streak snapped.
- CHARLOTTE: 71
Feb 13 9:07 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 29
Feb 13 7:51 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 13 7:09 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9