Wright, No. 22 Cincy thump CampbellNov 21, 2012 - 4:22 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Cashmere Wright scored a game-high 28 points to lead No. 22 Cincinnati to a 91-72 win over Campbell as part of the Global Sports Invitational.
JaQuon Parker scored 21 points and pulled down eight rebounds while Sean Kilpatrick chipped in 15 points, eight boards and three assists for the Bearcats (4-0), who will face Iowa State in Las Vegas in the semifinals of this tournament on Friday.
"Although I was disappointed in our defense in the second half, I was happy with the fact that we were able to get under some game pressure," Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin said. "Not good but maybe, maybe a little wakeup call that some of our guys needed as far as keeping our focus and playing 40 minutes."
Darren White had 22 points and seven rebounds and Trey Freeman poured in 17 points to go with eight boards for the Fighting Camels (2-3), who have dropped three of their last four.
"I think the obvious difference in the game was rebounding, particularly from the wing players of Cincinnati. They've got 17 rebounds between their two and their three, which is pretty incredible," Campbell head coach Robbie Laing said. "If you look at the assists for each team, we had to play a lot of one on one because we were taken totally out of our offense. This is the most imposing defense we have seen to date."
Kilpatrick's jumper gave Cincinnati a 29-15 lead with just under 10 minutes left in the first half, and the Bearcats' lead grew to 46-28 at the break after Jeremiah Davis III nailed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Cincinnati pushed its cushion to 60-36 three minutes into the second half, but Campbell was able to pull within 75-64 after a pair of White free throws at the 5:20 mark.
It would be as close as the Fighting Camels would get as they were outscored 16-8 the rest of the way.
Cincinnati turned it over 14 times and had just 13 assists ... The Bearcats have outscored their opponents 366-228 over their first four games ... This was the first ever meeting between the schools.
- CAMPBELL: 72
Nov 20 9:04 PM
- CAMPBELL: 28
Nov 20 7:52 PM
- CAMPBELL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 7:06 PM
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Still-unbeaten Kentucky grinds out win over Cincinnati Mar 21
- Bearcats on tap to test undefeated Wildcats Mar 21
- Cincinnati edges Purdue in OT thriller Mar 20
- Bearcats battle Boilermakers in Midwest Region Mar 19
- Cincinnati completes sweep of SMU Feb 6
- Mustangs set sights on Bearcats in AAC action Feb 5
- Cincinnati coach Cronin out for rest of season Jan 2
- Cincinnati coach Cronin has aneurysm Dec 20