Southerland's career night lifts Syracuse over ArkansasDec 1, 2012 - 6:29 AM
Michael Carter-Williams finished an assist shy of a triple double, compiling 17 points and 10 rebounds, for the Orange (5-0). Brandon Triche also scored 17 and C.J. Fair added 12 in Syracuse's first true road game of the young season.
"I thought offensively we played as well as you can play in a tough environment," said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim.
BJ Young paced Arkansas with 25 points, while Marshawn Powell totaled 19 points and seven boards.
"You got to be able to make shots, you got to be able to make plays and we didn't," said Arkansas coach Mike Anderson.
The Razorbacks (3-3), who were dealt their third straight loss, drew to within 43-41 inside the second half's opening minute. Syracuse, though, now clinging to a three-point lead, created separation with a 12-0 burst.
Consecutive threes by Southerland sparked the run that put the Orange up 57-42.
Arkansas responded by scoring the next 10 points and trimmed its deficit to five again on a Powell layup with 11:38 remaining.
But Syracuse restored a double-digit advantage with its long-range shooting. This time, however, it wasn't Southerland. Triche knocked down back-to-back shots from beyond the arc and capped off his own 8-0 run with a jumper for a 69-56 Orange lead at the midway point.
The Razorbacks refused to go away and were within 88-82 after Powell made two free throws with 25.5 seconds remaining.
A Southerland dunk cemented the win on the ensuing possession.
Syracuse led by as many as 15 points in the first half before its advantage dwindled to 43-38 at the break.
Southerland tied Gerry McNamara and Andy Rautins for the most made threes in a game ... Syracuse extended its winning streak against non-conference opponents in the regular season to 47 ... The Razorbacks had won 25 straight non- conference home games ... Arkansas held a 29-14 edge in made free throws ... Syracuse was 48.5 percent from the field and limited the Razorbacks to 38.7 percent shooting.
- SYRACUSE: 91
Nov 30 10:41 PM
- SYRACUSE: 43
Nov 30 9:29 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 30 8:36 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28