Bluejays finish strong, down UABNov 15, 2012 - 4:05 AM Omaha, NE (Sports Network) - Josh Jones scored all 18 of his points in the second half as the No. 15 Creighton Bluejays fought off the upset-minded UAB Blazers, 77-60, on Wednesday.
Creighton (2-0) trailed by double-digits early in the second half, but Jones, with leading scorer Doug McDermott quiet most of the night, stepped up with 10 straight points to pull the Bluejays even.
Jones stayed hot and netted eight points during a 17-0 run that helped put the game away and extend the Bluejays' non-conference home win streak to 39.
Gregory Echenique finished with 13 points and 16 rebounds, while Grant Gibbs and Ethan Wragge chipped in 13 and 12 points, respectively, in the win. McDermott logged just five points on 2-of-6 shooting.
Isiah Jones paced UAB (1-1) with 16 points, while Rod Rucker and Jordan Swing netted 12 apiece on a combined 10-of-29 effort from the field.
McDermott picked up two quick fouls in the first seven minutes, and with the All-American on the bench UAB reeled off nine straight points to take a 23-15 lead on a Swing jumper.
The Blazers led, 37-33, at halftime and went in front by a 45-35 score after 3-pointers by Swing and Terence Jones early in the second half.
Josh Jones answered with the next 10 points, the last six coming on back-to- back makes from behind the arc. McDermott followed with his final field goal to give the Bluejays the lead, though Swing converted a three-point play a little later to give UAB a 55-53 edge with just over 11 minutes remaining.
Echenique tied things with a layup, while Jahenns Manigat and Josh Jones each hit from long range to jump-start the game-sealing 17-point flurry.
After another triple and a layup by Josh Jones, Gibbs made a bucket for a healthy 70-55 lead, and the hosts held on in the final six minutes.
Creighton played UAB in its season opener last season and won, 70-60 ... Creighton has won 40 straight games in November ... The Bluejays shot 51 percent from the field and held the Blazers to 38 percent shooting ... McDermott had scored in double figures in 37 straight games.
- ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM: 60
Nov 14 9:48 PM
- ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM: 37
Nov 14 8:49 PM
- ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 8:07 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14