Northern Illinois held to 4 points in first halfJan 27, 2013 - 12:13 AM Ypsilanti, MI (Sports Network) - Glenn Bryant had 10 points and three blocks, as the Eastern Michigan Eagles notched a 42-25 win over the Northern Illinois Huskies in a defensive slugfest between Mid-American Conference rivals at the Convocation Center.
Bryant was the game's only double-digit scorer, as the Eagles (10-10, 3-3 MAC) used a staunch defensive effort to improve to 10-2 at home this season. The 25 points allowed is EMU's lowest total since a 61-21 win over Hillsdale College on Jan. 21, 1943.
The Huskies (4-14, 2-4) were held to a NCAA record-low four points at halftime. The 2008 Savannah Tigers are the only other team in the modern era to score just four points in any half.
EMU led 18-4 at halftime, as the Huskies could muster only one field goal in the opening frame. NIU shot a brutal 1-of-31 from the floor for a 3.2-percent success rate.
The Huskies missed 36 consecutive shots from the 18:05 mark of the first half to the 14:27 mark of the second half. By then, EMU held a comfortable 23-7 lead and maintained a double-digit cushion the rest of the way.
For the game, the Huskies shot just 8-of-61 from the floor (.131) and 1-of-33 from beyond the arc (.003) to tie the lowest field-goal percentage in NCAA history since the beginning of the shot clock era in 1986.
- NORTHERN ILLINOIS: 25
EASTERN MICHIGAN: 42
Jan 26 4:07 PM
- NORTHERN ILLINOIS: 4
EASTERN MICHIGAN: 18
Jan 26 2:54 PM
- NORTHERN ILLINOIS: 0
EASTERN MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 26 2:07 PM
- Eastern Michigan cruises past NAIA Rochester (Mich) 86-58 Dec 8
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- No. 25 Michigan State beats EMU Dec 18
- Spartans set sights on soaring Eagles Dec 17
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Syracuse cruises past Eastern Michigan Dec 31
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- Eagles hoping to soar past second-ranked Orange Dec 31
- Parker, Duke cruise past Eastern Michigan Dec 28