Ryan helps Aces upend No. 23 ShockersJan 14, 2013 - 7:32 AM Evansville, IN (Sports Network) - Colt Ryan scored 24 points with eight assists as Evansville took a 71-67 win over No. 23 Wichita State on Sunday.
Troy Taylor had 12 points and six rebounds while Ned Cox added 10 points for the Aces (11-6, 4-1 MVC), who have won four straight.
"We competed for 40 minutes today," Evansville head coach Marty Simmons said. "Our guys were very active on defense.
Malcolm Armstead gave 21 points while Cleanthony Early posted 16 points for the Shockers (15-2, 4-1), who had a six-game winning streak snapped.
"We were sloppy with the ball," Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall said
Trailing by six points with a minute to play, Armstead hit a layup and stole the ball from Lewis Jones, leading to a 3-pointer from Early to make it a 1- point game.
Taylor then hit 1-of-2 from the line, but Armstead missed a jumper at the other end and Jordan Jahr hit a pair of free throws with 31 seconds to play.
Jack White followed with a layup to again make it a 2-point contest, but Ryan hit one of his two free throws with 20 seconds left.
White missed a 3-pointer at the other end, though, and Jones sealed the win with one of two makes from the line in the final seconds of the contest.
It was a close first half as neither team built more than a 3-point lead and the Shockers held a 31-30 edge after Armstead made a 3-pointer with two minutes to play, but Egidijus Mockevicius put in a bucket in the final seconds to give the Aces a 32-31 lead after 20 minutes.
Wichita State had a 50-45 lead just over nine minutes into the second half on an Early 3-pointer, but Evansville answered with an 11-4 run to take the lead back and the game stayed close from there.
Wichita State hosts Illinois State on Wednesday ... Evansville plays at Drake on Wednesday ... The Aces snapped a five-game losing streak to the Shockers, but still trail in the series, 22-15.
- WICHITA STATE: 67
Jan 13 6:41 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 31
Jan 13 5:23 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 13 4:38 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2