Andre Hollins scores 41 as Minnesota beats No. 19 MemphisNov 24, 2012 - 3:39 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - The much-anticipated semifinal games of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament will occur later Friday, but Andre Hollins provided a nice appetizer.
Hollins exploded for 41 points in Minnesota's 84-75 win over No. 19 Memphis in the loser's side of the bracket.
Hollins was a perfect 5-of-5 from beyond the arc, 12-of-16 from the floor and 12-of-13 from the foul line for the Golden Gophers (5-1), who lost to Duke in the quarterfinals.
"We know he can shoot the ball. We know he can score the ball," Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith said. "He really rose to the occasion especially in the second half. Dre put on a great display. I don't think I've ever seen a young man I've coached do that. I'm very impressed."
Rodney Williams Jr. registered 13 points, seven boards and four blocks in the victory.
D.J. Stephens tallied 15 points and seven rebounds for Memphis (2-2), which was upset by VCU in the quarterfinals and would've set up a top-20 showdown against Duke in the semifinals.
"There is no need to push the panic button. This is just part of the journey. We still have a chance to be scary good with all the talent we have," Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said.
Tarik Black netted 13 points, while Adonis Thomas and Shaq Goodwin added 12 apiece in defeat.
Memphis trailed the entire second half until Stephen's 3-pointer gave the Tigers a 68-67 lead with 6:18 to play, but the Gophers countered with a 16-3 run to put the game away.
Hollins hit all eight of his free throws and scored 10 points during the surge for an 84-72 Minnesota edge in the waning seconds before Chris Crawford's triple concluded the scoring.
Hollins poured in 24 of his points in the opening frame as the Gophers took a 47-42 edge into the break.
This was the first meeting between the teams since the 1992-93 season ... Hollins and Memphis guard Joe Jackson were teammates at White Station High School in Memphis ... Minnesota was 28-of-33 from the foul line.
- MEMPHIS: 75
Nov 23 3:16 PM
- MEMPHIS: 42
Nov 23 2:00 PM
- MEMPHIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 1:13 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- Despite dismal season, Pitino exudes optimism for future Mar 10