Wichita State upends Pitt in West RegionMar 21, 2013 - 10:26 PM Salt Lake City, UT (Sports Network) - Malcolm Armstead scored 22 points as Wichita State defeated Pittsburgh, 73-55, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Cleanthony Early tallied 21 points off the bench for the Shockers (27-8), who lost to VCU in the second round of the tourney last season. Carl Hall added 11 points in the victory.
Wichita State, the ninth seed in the West Region, will face the winner between top-seeded Gonzaga and Southern in Saturday's third round.
Steven Adams scored 13 points and grabbed 11 boards for the Panthers (24-9), who did not make the NCAA Tournament last year after reaching it every season from 2002-11.
Tied 21-21 with 2:05 remaining in the first half, Chadrack Lufile made a layup to give Wichita State a 23-21 edge and would hold on to the lead for the remainder of the contest.
A free throw by Ron Baker and an Armstead layup ended the half with the Shockers on top, 26-21.
Wichita State pulled away in the second half, outscoring Pittsburgh 47-34, and shot 52.4 percent from the field. Armstead and Early scored 13 and 11 points, respectively, with Armstead connecting on all seven of his free throws, to help secure the victory.
Adams had nine points and seven rebounds in the second half ... Wichita State shot 2-for-20 from beyond the arc and Pittsburgh made just 1-of-17 ... The Shockers connected on 24 of the team's 33 made free throws in the second half.
- WICHITA STATE: 73
Mar 21 4:12 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 26
Mar 21 2:40 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 1:42 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18