Iowa upends Maryland, advance to NIT finalApr 3, 2013 - 4:19 AM Iowa Hawkeyes advanced to the NIT championship with a 71-60 win over the Maryland Terrapins at Madison Square Garden.
Eric May contributed 12 points and five assists while Aaron White made 8-of-10 from the foul line for 10 points. The Hawkeyes (25-12) will face Baylor in the championship game on Thursday night.
Alex Len went for 16 points and nine rebounds in the losing effort for Maryland (25-13). Nick Faust added 14 points.
After leading by as many as 14 points early on, Iowa was unable to stop Maryland down the stretch. Wells' dunk with four seconds left in the first half brought the Terrapins to within five, 38-33, at intermission. Maryland overcame 11 turnovers and got a boost from its bench, led by Logan Aronhalt with 9 points.
Iowa opened the second half on a 9-2 run before the Terps came surging back behind Faust, whose triple with 11:57 left brought Maryland back to within four. The Hawkeyes maintained their lead however and put the game away on May's 3-pointer with 1:01 left.
Iowa scored 27 points off of turnovers tonight while Maryland managed just two.
- IOWA: 71
Apr 2 11:36 PM
- IOWA: 38
Apr 2 10:24 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Apr 2 9:38 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19