Santa Clara takes Game 1 from George MasonApr 2, 2013 - 6:08 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Kevin Foster paced four teammates in double figures with 28 points as the Santa Clara Broncos outlasted the George Mason Patriots, 81-73, in Game 1 of the College Basketball Invitational championship round at the Leavey Center.
Foster shot 5-of-11 from 3-point range and 9-of-11 from the foul line for Santa Clara (25-11), which won its fourth straight game in the tournament. Evan Roquemore netted 20 points and dished out six assists, Marc Trasolini had 17 points and seven rebounds, while Raymond Cowels III added 10 points in the winning effort.
For George Mason (21-14), Jonathan Arledge logged 21 points and eight rebounds, Bryon Allen recorded 15 points and eight assists, while Patrick Holloway poured in 17 points off the bench. Erik Copes made up for a poor night from the field (1-of-6) by hauling in 14 rebounds.
After outshooting George Mason from the field in the first half, 51.9 percent to 34.5 percent, Santa Clara carried a 39-31 lead into intermission.
Even though the Broncos shot just 36 percent after the break, they hung on to their advantage for the entire second half. Down by 11 with under a minute remaining, George Mason made things interesting by scoring seven points in a matter of 16 seconds, but Santa Clara scored the final four points of the game to seal its fate.
The Broncos turned 19 Patriots' turnovers into 19 points. They also shot an impressive 25-of-30 from the free-throw line.
George Mason will host Game Two on Wednesday, as well as Game Three on Friday, if necessary.
- GEORGE MASON: 73
SANTA CLARA: 81
Apr 2 12:16 AM
- GEORGE MASON: 31
SANTA CLARA: 39
Apr 1 10:58 PM
- GEORGE MASON: 0
SANTA CLARA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Apr 1 10:09 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10