Baylor blasts Iowa for NIT titleApr 5, 2013 - 5:19 AM Baylor over Iowa, 74-54, in the National Invitation Tournament title game for the first postseason championship in school history.
Baylor also became the first Big 12 school to win the NIT by hitting 54 percent from the field and holding Iowa to 26 percent shooting.
Cory Jefferson scored a game-high 23 points, while Isaiah Austin had 15 with nine rebounds for the second-seeded Bears (23-14), who lost their only other NIT title game against Penn State in 2009.
"I'm extremely proud of the way we played tonight. It was domination," Jackson said.
Iowa (25-13), playing in its first NIT title game, was led by Mike Gesell's 13 points. Roy Devyn Marble, who averaged 24.3 points in the first four games of the tourney, shot just 3-of-12 from the field for a mere six points for the third-seeded Hawkeyes.
"We didn't do a lot of things (tonight)...but nothing will take away the fact that we won 25 games," Hawkeyes head coach Fran McCaffery said.
Iowa's only lead came on the game's opening basket, as Baylor scored the next nine points and went into the break holding a 27-22 cushion.
The Hawkeyes clawed within one, 28-27, early in the second half, but the Bears countered with a 14-4 run that Jackson capped with a 3-pointer.
Jackson hit again from long range near the midway point for a 49-34 advantage, then fed Jefferson for a thunderous dunk to give the Bears a healthy 21-point lead that was never threatened down the stretch.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5