No. 20 Virginia holds off Boston CollegeFeb 6, 2014 - 3:48 AM Charlottesville, VA (SportsNetwork.com) - Malcolm Brogdon scored 17 points to lead 20th-ranked Virginia to a 77-67 win over Boston College at John Paul Jones Arena.
The outcome seemed to be decided with the Cavaliers up 19 on a Justin Anderson layup with under five minutes left, but they were held without a field goal over the final 4:45 during which Boston College mounted a rally.
Virginia was forced to sink critical free throws down the stretch to extend its winning streak to six games. Brogdon, who added career-high totals of 11 rebounds and seven assists, made 8-of-9 at the foul line, including four inside the final minute.
The rest of the Cavaliers were 11-of-25 at the charity stripe.
"We left so many points at the line and that was discouraging," said Virginia head coach Tony Bennett.
Anderson and Anthony Gill supplied 13 points apiece for Virginia (18-5, 9-1 ACC), which is back in the Top 25 for the first time since November.
Ryan Anderson had 20 points and seven rebounds for the Eagles (6-16, 2-7), who have dropped five of their last six games.
"I was proud of our effort, but we didn't do enough to win the game," said Boston College head coach Steve Donahue.
Down 71-52, Boston College went on a 15-2 run to close within six. Garland Owens nailed a 3-pointer to cap the surge with 40 seconds remaining, but the Cavaliers were able to hold on.
Virginia took control with an early 15-0 run and led 40-21 at halftime after shooting 50 percent from the field.
Joe Harris and Evan Nolte both had nine points for the Cavaliers ... Virginia has won six consecutive ACC games for the first time since a seven-game run during the 2006-07 season ... Olivier Hanlan netted 14 points and Lonnie Jackson scored 12 for Boston College.
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 67
Feb 5 9:04 PM
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 21
Feb 5 7:48 PM
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 7:03 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- BC looks to avoid winless ACC year in football, basketball Mar 4
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4