Cavaliers finish strong, fend off Yellow JacketsFeb 8, 2014 - 8:29 PM Atlanta, GA (SportsNetwork.com) - Malcolm Brogdon had 14 points and matched a career high with 11 rebounds as 20th-ranked Virginia pulled away to beat Georgia Tech 64-45 at McCamish Pavilion.
Joe Harris and Anthony Gill scored 11 points apiece for the Cavaliers (19-5, 10-1 ACC), who closed the game with an emphatic 22-1 run.
Virginia has won seven straight games and is off to its best start in conference play since opening 12-1 in 1981-82.
Top scorer Trae Golden and leading rebounder Robert Carter, Jr. both returned to the Georgia Tech lineup, but were non factors. Golden sat out the previous game with a groin injury, while Carter missed the Yellow Jackets' first 10 ACC games with a knee injury that required surgery.
Chris Bolden was the lone Georgia Tech player to reach double figures, finishing with 13.
The Yellow Jackets (12-12, 3-8) were held without a field goal over the final 9:52 as Virginia clamped down defensively. The Cavaliers entered second in the nation with 56.0 points allowed per game.
Kammeon Holsey was fouled on a layup and his free throw gave Georgia Tech a 44-42 lead with just under 10 minutes to go.
It was all Virginia the rest of the way.
"It was really something to see that happen," Virginia head coach Tony Bennett said about the late run.
Brogdon followed up a steal with a dunk and Harris drained a 3-pointer as the Cavaliers scored the next nine points to take control.
Georgia Tech's lone point was a Holsey free throw with 5:51 left.
"We just weren't strong enough and tough enough on the offensive end in those last eight minutes," said Georgia Tech head coach Brian Gregory.
The first half featured six lead changes and ended with the Yellow Jackets up 30-29. Bolden led all players with 11 points in the opening 20 minutes.
Brogdon has scored at least 10 points in all 11 ACC games ... Virginia has won seven ACC games in a row for the first time since the 2006-07 season ... The Cavaliers improved to 5-1 in its last six games at Georgia Tech ... Golden was held scoreless in 18 minutes and Carter posted five points in 16 minutes ... Daniel Miller had nine points and six blocks for the Yellow Jackets.
- VIRGINIA: 64
GEORGIA TECH: 45
Feb 8 1:59 PM
- VIRGINIA: 29
GEORGIA TECH: 30
Feb 8 12:47 PM
- VIRGINIA: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 12:07 PM
- Georgia Tech hires Pastner from Memphis to replace Gregory Apr 9
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Bobinski looking for coach to revitalize Georgia Tech hoops Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Georgia Tech fires men's basketball coach Brian Gregory Mar 25
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16