UConn upsets No. 17 MemphisJan 17, 2014 - 3:52 AM Memphis, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - DeAndre Daniels had 23 points and 11 rebounds in the Connecticut Huskies' 83-73 victory over the 17th-ranked Memphis Tigers on Thursday.
Shabazz Napier added 17 points and 10 assists for the Huskies (14-3, 2-2 AAC), who have won three in a row. Lasan Kromah tallied 13 points.
Michael Dixon Jr. ended with 16 points for the Tigers (12-4, 3-2), who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped. Austin Nichols and Joe Jackson donated 13 and 11 points, respectively.
"I did not think we played very poorly, I actually thought we played very well in some areas," Memphis coach Josh Pastner said. "UConn just hit some shots especially at the end. It was a great game and we look forward to getting back out there Saturday."
Trailing 52-51 with 13 1/2 minutes to play, the Huskies went on a 10-2 run. Daniels tallied four points during the spurt that Tyler Olander capped with a layup to give Connecticut a 61-54 edge.
But the Tigers scored eight of the next nine points to tie the game. Shaq Goodwin's jumper with 5:22 remaining made it 62-62.
Napier made a jumper and layup around a Goodwin free throw to make it 66-63 in favor of the Huskies. Memphis missed its next three shots and Kromah scored four straight points for UConn.
Jackson's jumper with 1:15 left got Memphis within 75-69. Following a timeout, UConn handed the ball right back to the Tigers on a 10-second backcourt violation. Jackson made two free throws to make it a four-point contest.
Connecticut then turned the ball over again, but Jackson missed a layup. UConn went 6-of-6 from the charity stripe in the final 49.3 seconds to secure the victory.
"We did a phenomenal job adjusting," UConn coach Kevin Ollie said. "We were ball hunting, that's what we do, we go hunt the basketball. Our pick-and-pop plays were great, which is really hard to stop when it gets going. Our offensive rebounding was huge. We continued to execute and eventually got some stops."
Both teams went on runs in the first half before the Tigers took a 40-39 lead into the break.
The Huskies started the second half on a 10-2 run. Daniels scored eight points during the spurt to give UConn a 49-42 lead.
Geron Johnson and Chris Crawford made consecutive 3-pointers before David Pellom's slam gave Memphis a 50-49 edge.
UConn shot 57.1 percent from the field ... Goodwin had 10 points for Memphis, which shot 43.5 percent from the floor ... The Tigers play LeMoyne-Owen on Saturday, while the Huskies play Louisville on Saturday.
- CONNECTICUT: 83
Jan 16 9:12 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 39
Jan 16 7:55 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 16 7:03 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5