Dayton tops Delaware StateDec 5, 2013 - 2:16 AM Dayton, OH (SportsNetwork.com) - Matt Kavanaugh scored 11 points, Vee Sanford added 10 points off the bench, and No. 25 Dayton beat Delaware State, 56-46, Wednesday night.
Following a nice 2-1 run in the Maui Invitational in which the Flyers (7-1) defeated No. 11 Gonzaga and California en route to a third-place finish, Dayton seemed to play down to its competition in this matchup.
Tyshawn Bell and Casey Walker each netted 14 points in the setback.
Dayton jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first 5:47 of the contest after a free throw from Devon Scott.
DeAndre Haywood got the Hornets (2-6) on the board with a pair of free throws which headed a 10-2 run that was capped by Albert Thomas' 3-pointer with 10:58 to go in the first.
Delaware State trimmed the deficit to 15-14 later in the half when Bell converted four free throws in as many chances.
Dayton, however, outscored the Hornets 13-7 in the final 5:33 to push the lead to 28-21 at the break.
Midway through the second half, Dayton went on a 12-0 run capped by a Jalen Robinson jumper and the lead swelled to 50-30 with 7:29 left. Robinson scored five points during the burst that gave Dayton some breathing room.
Bell answered with two straight triples which were a part of an 9-0 run to get the Hornets back within 11.
Delaware State got within eight after a Walker trey with under two minutes to play, but the comeback effort came up short as Dayton made its free throws down the stretch and held on for the win.
This is the first time Dayton has been in the Top-25 since it was ranked No. 18 during the week of Nov. 16, 2009 ... Dayton improved to 5-0 all-time against Delaware State ... Robinson and Jordan Sibert each added eight points in the win ... The Flyers shot just 2-of-14 (14.3 percent) from beyond the arc ... Dayton will travel to Illinois State on Saturday.
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU past Dayton for A-10 crown Mar 15