Finney-Smith's late free throw lifts Florida over FSUNov 30, 2013 - 5:29 AM Gainesville, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Dorian Finney-Smith's free throw with 1.3 seconds left lifted No. 15 Florida to a 67-66 win over Florida State on Friday.
Florida led by seven after Casey Prather's dunk with just under four minutes to go. Okaro White buried a pair of free throws 17 seconds later to pull the Seminoles within five, but Michael Frazier knocked down a 3-pointer for a 63-55 edge.
The teams traded empty possessions until Patric Young fouled Aaron Thomas with 2:45 left, and Thomas knocked down both free throws to make it a five-point game.
Ian Miller narrowed the Florida advantage to 63-59 with 2:07 remaining. Scottie Wilbekin turned it over on the next trip down the court and Thomas twisted around a defender in the air and laid it in to make it a one- possession game.
A pair of Wilbekin free throws made it 65-61, but Ian Miller buried a trey from the top of the key to pull the Seminoles within 65-64 with 1:18 remaining.
After Prather split a pair of free throws for a 66-64 lead, Miller knocked down a pair of free throws to knot things up with 27 seconds left.
The Gators dribbled the clock down and Wilbekin missed a jumper with three seconds left, but Finney-Smith was fouled after pulling down the rebound.
Finney-Smith missed the first free throw, but knocked down the second and Miller's desperation heave as time expired bounced off the back of the rim.
Prather finished with 19 points and Frazier had 17 for the Gators (6-1), who remained unbeaten at home this season and have won 20 straight at Stephen C. O'Connell Center.
"It was a really ugly game for us. Give Florida State credit, they probably had something to do with it," said Florida coach Billy Donovan. "I don't think we played great. We didn't take advantage of what was there. "
Boris Bojanovsky scored 14 points, Miller added 13 and Thomas poured in 12 for the Seminoles (5-2).
"I was proud of the fact that we fought. We hung in there and gave tremendous effort, but unfortunately coming close doesn't count. We have to learn from this game and move on," said Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton.
Florida led 31-28 after a back-and-forth first half.
Finney-Smith was just 2-of-12 shooting from the field ... Twenty of Florida's 38 rebounds came on the offensive glass ... Florida State was just 2-for-10 from 3-point range, but knocked down 20-of-23 free throw attempts.
- FLORIDA STATE: 66
Nov 29 9:55 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 28
Nov 29 8:27 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 29 7:37 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18